If you, like me, use the excellent Evolve Plus theme from Theme4Press, chances are you’ve had a problem or ten since the latest upgrade to WordPress 5.5.
It took me a while to find what the problems were and how to fix them…here’s what I did.
After the WordPress 5.5 upgrade, my website still worked but many of the admin features didn’t. The Media Library appeared empty, I couldn’t drag menu entries in to the right place, I could create pages but not add media, the customisation option list was empty etc… I spent ages checking folders, deactivating and removing plugins and so on. Even switching to a different theme, TwentyTwenty in my case, didn’t fix it, so…
To fix it, do this:
- Make a backup of your website, including the database and all content; if you have a backup from just before the WordPress update, make a local copy if you don’t have one.
- You presumably have updated to the latest WordPress 5.5, so that’s done.
- Download the latest Evolve Plus version from your Theme4press account…at the time of writing it was 188.8.131.52. Install it in the usual manner you do.
- Download and install the latest Component Shortcodes plugin from your Theme4press account and activate it. At the time of writing it was 1.0.2.
- You may get an error when you try to activate it. Chances are, you still have the Theme4Press Core plugin installed and activated. If so, deactivate and delete it. It hasn’t been needed since before version 2.8.3 of Evolve Plus.
- As usual, make sure all your other themes and plugins are up to date. deactivate and remove any you don’t or are unlikely to ever use.
I hope you found this helpful. Please note that this information is provided on an ‘as-is’ basis i.e. you follow it entirely of your own volition and at your own risk. Furthermore, I do not provide free support if you don’t know how to do this.